Sunday, June 27, 2010

Danzig speaks the truth!

You may or may not know this, but I am a heavy metal nerd.  I love metal, whether it be power, thrash, speed, Gothic, symphonic, black, death, groove, folk, or Viking.  And one of my favorite artists is Glenn Danzig.  Love him or hate him, Danzig is a unique and interesting individual, and I really do mean individual.  Though not technically a member of the Church of Satan, he is a proponent of Anton LaVay's indivualist philosophy.

I was driving him this afternoon listening to one of my favorite radio stations, Liquid Metal (XM 42), when they started an interview with Danzig to talk about his new album.  One of the things they brought up was his unique style, aesthetic, and outspoken nature.  He said in response, "I've always believed that.  Be yourself.  Be the person you want to be."  It was the last sentence that really connected with me.

I hear, "Be yourself," a lot, but I'm a much bigger supporter of the idea that it's better to be an ideal self.  Danzig described the battle to be an individual against the expectations of others as a war.  It ain't easy, but it's worth it.  If you want to get out there and perform, you also are going to have to be the one you want to be.  You have to be an individual.  Such people attract others to them and are percieved as leaders because they're not afraid of adversity.

Danzig speaks the tuth.  Now get out there and do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment